Tuesday, September 27, 2016

P. S. to Libraries


I just discovered that September 25-October 1 is Banned Books Week.  I thought that was interesting, since this week's blog features the importance of books, libraries, and librarians!  The article I read said that this year the emphasis focuses on the importance of diversity in children's books.  A review showed that only 10% of published children's books have multicultural content.  That is not reflective of our population.  As for banned books, many popular books have appeared on that list over the years, including "The Wizard of Oz"!  Since my post shows my husband reading from "The Wizard of Oz" I thought it was worth mentioning that sometimes well-intentioned people  get a little carried away when it comes to banning books.  That is another instance in which the role of librarians can be so important!


Maybe that banning is why the Scarecrow looks so perplexed!

2 comments:

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

Some of my favorite books are on the banned or frequently challenged list. Crazy to me.

The Blog Fodder said...

The books I like were/are those that tend to be banned in Soviet and present day Russia. You know, factual history books