Thursday, May 17, 2018

Teachers Touch our Lives

Teachers Susan Beck and Anna Marie Beck
Teachers touch the lives of all of us, and at the vulnerable ages of school children, teachers have such power to change lives.  It is remarkable to remember that many of the teachers in the one-room country schools were teenagers.  Isaac Werner describes in his journal a snowstorm that raced across the prairie, dropping temperatures dangerously, even indoors.  Sometimes teachers stayed in the schools overnight to avoid making daily trips to and from distant homes, and apparently young Miss Goodwin was doing that the night the blizzard arrived.  Isaac recorded that she suffered severe frost bite to her hands at the school house during the storm.

Not all the teachers were young single women, however.  My great grandmother, Susan Beck, taught in the one-room schools in her community.  Her daughter, Anna Marie Beck, followed in her mother's footsteps to begin teaching when she was still in her teens and devoted her life to education, as a teacher, a superintendent, the Stafford County Superintendent, and working in the education department in the state capital in Topeka.

The recent series sharing the 1895 8th Grade examinations showed the challenging curriculum these teachers, many of whom were quite young themselves, were expected to teach.  The influence of teachers, then and now, may be the most important profession in our nation.

Douglas Township, Stafford Co., KS   1917
When I was a college student majoring in elementary education, part of my required training was Practice Teaching.  I was assigned to a Master Teacher at Lincoln School in Hays, Kansas.  She was incredible, and more than all my classes, although they were important in training me, my master teacher taught me how to teach.  Her life lessons have stayed with me long past my years as a teacher.  Unfortunately, I had forgotten her name.  I looked for it in my old college year books, but she was not a regular faculty member, so her name was not listed.  I had given up on finding her name in order to thank her.

Recently, I was attending a luncheon at my alma mater and found myself seated next to a woman who had been an education major at the same time I was.  I happened to mention my respect for the Practice Teacher I had and my disappointment in having failed to locate her name in order to thank her.  Based on my description, the woman said, "I believe you are describing Emma Kolb."

It is amazing how often serendipity leads us to the things that had eluded us.  Sadly, Emma Kolb died in 2016, making it impossible for me to thank her for the positive influence she had on my life.  This blog is my way to say thank you, to her and all the teachers who influence the lives of students in ways that positively change their futures.

Emma Kolb, Master Teacher
Emma Kolb was born May 21, 1918 and died November 20, 2016.  She began teaching in 1937 at Zion, Rush County, Kansas, and later, taught at Lincoln Elementary School in Hays, Kansas for 33 years.  Following retirement, she volunteered there for an additional 22 years.  She was named a Kansas Master Teacher and was inducted into the Kansas Teacher Hall of Fame.  She was often heard to say, "Remember, children are not your job; they are your privilege."

One of the things she taught me was never to avoid admitting I did not know the answer to a question a child asked.  Rather, to tell them, 'I don't know the answer to your question, but it is a good question and I will look that up and share the answer with you later."  For the many things you taught me that have influenced me beyond the classroom, thank you Miss Kolb.  I wish I could have told you that, but perhaps I was mature enough to tell you that when my time under your tutelage ended.  If not, perhaps teachers reading this blog will be reminded of how much what they do is appreciated, even when students forget to tell them.

(Remember, you can enlarge the images by clicking on them.)


5 comments:

Sharon said...

This is such a beautiful post, Lyn. It brought back so many memories of teachers who impacted my life. One’s name was Gwen Sorell, a professor at Texas Tech Univ, who taught a class on adult development back in 1887. It was the most interesting and informative class I have ever taken. Many years later I was at a theater performance in Lubbock and I noticed that Dr. Sorell was sitting behind me. During intermission I turned back to her and told her how much I had learned - and actually applied it in my life. She was so surprised and pleased. Within a short period of time I read her obituary in the paper. She had been ill with cancer. I am so glad I acted on that opportunity. Hope to see you and Larry at the Spring Conference!

Lynda Beck Fenwick said...

Sharon, thank you so much for your comment. I have a huge lump in my throat as I type this--now tears... Two teachers I wanted so much to thank slipped away before I did that, and it breaks my heart that I didn't make it happen. I hope they both knew how special they were to me and so many others. Looking forward to seeing you!

Deb L said...

This is such a wonderful story. Thank you, Lyn. Miss Kolb exemplifies the many one-room school teachers who gave their heart and souls to teaching and the well-being of the children in their charge. My own mother taught in a one room school house in Graham County. I believe it was the Houston School. I remember she wrote about riding a horse to school, arriving early to start the fire in the stove, and her pride when her ALL of her students passed the 8th grade examination.

jsquad said...

Emma Kolb volunteered at Lincoln after they forced her to retire. She did for teachers what she wished someone would have done for her while she taught... when she was unable to continue, they hired someone to do what she had been doing... and now I’m tearing up. She was a mighty woman.

Linda Hardgrove said...

Lynda—I just stumbled on your name and some of your writing as I was doing a search for one room schools in Rush County, KS, where my mother taught. I was especially drawn to your account of your student teaching experience at Hays. I’m almost certain that we were in the same classes at Fort Hays, and friends our senior year.
I want to share my student teaching/master teacher experience with you. It was life changing, but in a negative way. I had asked for second grade in Hays and was assigned first grade in Russell. That was a bit of a disappointment but I reasoned that not all of could get what we had asked for.
There were four of us who rode to Russell together. It didn’t take long for me to realize that the other three were actually teaching while I did math groups, read with individual slow readers, and did recess duty and bulletin boards. I won’t name the teacher, but she never left the room. I was unable at that time to separate my desire to teach from the situation I found myself in. Crushed and thinking that I had wasted my college years on a career I had no desire to pursue my husband and I decided to start a family instead. My only teaching experience was substituting in Dodge City.
But back to that fall of 1965, I finally decided that the next time the teachers from Hays visited my classroom I would tell them what was happening. However, the next time they visited Russell they skipped my classroom. At sometime the next semester I discovered the truth of what had happened. Another of our classmates had been originally assigned to that teacher. However, her mother had recently gotten her degree and had this same woman for a master teacher. I don’t remember the girl’s name, but she had refused the assignment, and they had switched us! I had been assigned to Mrs. Huffman’s 2nd grade at Washington School in Hays, a teacher I had met and would have been delighted to serve under. As I said, life changing!
In retrospect I wish I had ask to do that semester over. But it was later before I discovered what had really happened. I believe that Hays knew the situation and that was why they didn’t visit me the last time they came to Russell. But I am sorry I didn’t protest. Perhaps it would have saved other students in the year to come.
Aside from all that, I do remember you, and I hope you see this. I’m looking forward to reading some of your writings.