Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Banned Book Favorites

 Some classic favorites have delighted children for generations.  In a world where children have so many opportunities to see violence on television and in the news, it seems to me a wonderful fact that many clever books are still beloved by kids.


Those of you who follow my blog know that I have never outgrown my love for collecting children's books, and one of my favorite bookstores devoted to children's books is celebrating 43 years of introducing children to wonderful books.  Books of Wonder was always on our list back in the day when we made frequent trips to NYC, and even now I enjoy their website online, which includes older collectible books, as well as art.

Recently, while I was online looking at children's books, I stumbled upon a website of banned children's books.  I knew that there are current books that some parents oppose, but the discovery that some of my favorite children's classics have been banned was disturbing.

We are not living in the Victorian era.  What children today see on television can be pretty personal, and even worse is the exposure to violence.  Given that exposure, what sort of books are being banned?  For example, what was the Detroit Public Library thinking when they decided that The Wonderful Wizard of Oz had "no value for children of today."  And, why was J.K. Rowling's books, that got children excited about reading, banned in many places for "promoting godless witchcraft."  Perhaps we adults have allowed our imaginations to grow idle, but kids know fantasy when they read it, and it is fun.


Even Alice in Wonderland was disapproved.  Apparently, the smoking of a hookah by the caterpillar upset some adults, even though Alice didn't like the caterpillar, nor his blowing smoke in her face.  Yet, some adults feared that the caterpillar would promote drug use.  Others saw the threat of sexuality in the caterpillar's shape.  What?!  Maybe scholars analyzing the text can find interpretations from their adult perspective, but generations of kids have seen no such things.

Another reason for disapproval of some children's books is the idea of animals talking.  Apparently, in many countries, books that show animals talking are objectionable.  A quote taken from China declares:  "Animals should not use human language, and it is disastrous to put animals and human beings on the same level."  Personally, I agree that dogs and cats are very smart, but hard as they may try, they can't quite manage speech.  Those of us who have pets know that they are very good at training us, and they can be trained to understand commands (although cats generally pretend otherwise), but it seems doubtful to me that allowing children to read books in which the animals can talk will make them think animals are on the same level as people.  If they do believe that, it is far more likely that it is because of the devotion their pets have shown them.  A prohibition against books in which animals speak would empty a great many shelves of wonderful books in both homes and libraries.


Maurice Sendak had a special gift of remembering what it was like to think like a child.  He never lost that childhood perspective of remembering how imagination is fun, and the scary stuff is just pretend, especially if your mother's lap is just a few steps away.  Yet, the popular Where the Wild Things Are was widely banned.  

Imagination is essential to childhood. How could children figure out who they are or what they want to be when they grow up if they could not be a fairy princess or cowboy one year and a doctor or a movie star or a scientist or an Olympian or a dog trainer or a tennis pro or an astronaut the next.  Fantasy is only a dress rehearsal to figure out who you really are.   Books are where kids can learn things without having to find them out in ways less desirable.  Books are ways to ask parents and others you trust about things you need to know and find confusing or troubling.  Today's world is more complicated than the world I grew up in, and books are still a safer place to learn about those complicated things than facing them for the first time in complete innocence.  I certainly don't have answers, but banning books that teachers and librarians have read and approved isn't something likely to protect kids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Commendable comment, Lynda Beck Fenwick; thank you for standing up for freedom & common sense!

Deanna Lackaff said...

Hear, hear, Lyn!

Steve Shively said...

Good column, Lyn. Certainly touches on an important topic. But it's not all new! Your photo of To Kill a Mockingbird reminded me of 6th grade. I ordered that book and Mutiny on the Bounty through the school's My Weekly Reader Book Club. My teacher asked if my parents knew I was ordering those books. In fact, they did and recommended them. But when he asked the question, I knew something was up and couldn't wait until they arrived. I loved TKM, and read it every chance I got. Including hiding it under the edge of my desk during math class. Of course, he was me and took the book. I thought I might be in trouble because there were a few "damns" in the book. He made me stay after school and gave me my book back but told me I couldn't bring "that dirty book" to school anymore. Yikes! Years later I taught TKM to my sophomore English students, and I also taught it in university young adult literature courses. Much loved by all. I do NOT feel I corrupted any young minds.

The Blog Fodder said...

The list of banned books should be made required reading. Diary of Anne Frank is one of the banned books.