Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Happy Holidays to Everyone!


 I love decorating for Christmas.  I have collected Christmas decorations for many years now...and I have too many to find places for all of them.  This year I had a tree on the porch, and when the wind started getting stronger, I went out to get the Santa that I had sitting by the tree, because it is breakable, and I thought I should bring it inside.  I was barely inside the house with Santa when I heard the wind  come blasting out of the west, and before I could even begin to think about how to protect the tree, down it came.  The next morning I retrieved all of the tiny ornaments that had  fallen off the tree and brought the tree into the house to take off the rest.  Only four ornaments were broken, and Elmer and I patched them up, ready for next year and a better securing of the tree.  Elmer's Glue is a good friend to have handy at Christmas!


Part of the fun of decorating the trees is remembering where we found all of the ornaments.  When we traveled, Christmas ornaments were our favorite souvenirs. Year by year the ornaments added up.  When we retired to the farm we wanted a tree decorated with framed ornaments holding pictures of our ancestors.  We call it our Angels and Ancestors tree, since it has the small framed photographs, lots of angel ornaments, and other ornaments that look antique.  It is always fun to have family with you on Christmas, isn't it?  And these Christmas guests don't require special diets or extra bedding!  What is especially fun about them is that we can remember many of them from our childhoods...although we miss the aunts in the kitchen and the uncles napping after the Christmas feast, and the cousins to play with all of our new toys.   They aren't here, but the memories are.  

However you decorate for the holidays, or even if you don't decorate at all,  Happy Holidays to Everyone!

Christmas stockings from the past






1 comment:

The Blog Fodder said...

"Themed" trees are boring. I like the idea of collecting ornaments over the years that mean something. Two of my girls have most of our Christmas ornaments from when they were kids, with new ones added over time. 2003 was Ella's last Christmas. Sometime in the middle f the night my son and second daughter cut a picture of David Letterman out of a newspaper and hung it inside the tree with a paperclip to see how long it took someone to notice. It is now a family tradition. Each of the four kids has a laminated picture of David Letterman to hang inside the tree. Finding it is the first thing you do when you see the tree or picture thereof.
Happy holidays.