Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Have We Forgotten History?


Recently, a friend sent me an article he thought I would enjoy.  The author of the article is Hugh Hewitt, and his premise is that by neglecting knowledge of history we are unable to make informed judgements about what is happening in present time.  Naturally, since I am a history buff, I was intrigued by his premise.  

Hewitt directed his attention toward young people's knowledge of history, citing recent test results, showing "alarming declines in eighth graders' understanding of history and civics."  His suggestion was to encourage kids to read historical fiction as a way to entice them to enjoy learning history.  I like the idea, if he means reading books with fictional characters but accurate historical references.  As an example, he suggested Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance," pointing out that while Wouk may have invented characters, he told the historical account of W.W. II with accuracy.

I also chose to tell history in my book, Prairie Bachelor, The Story of a Kansas Homesteader and the Populist Movement, using what I considered narrative nonfiction, telling history as a story with real people and real events.  I researched extensively and included foot notes and a bibliography, but I wrote in the style of a story rather than a textbook.  Both Wouk's books and mine were written for general readers, but we shared history as accurately as possible.  Several people who read Prairie Bachelor told me that they were not aware of the populist movement before reading my book. 


Hewitt focused on teaching history to young students, but I fear that both young and old are lacking in historic knowledge.   I enjoy reading history, but there is a lot of history that I do not know, and I certainly agree with Hewitt's statement that, "Without the sense of scale that even a decent grasp of history provides, it is simply not possible to appreciate the difference between what, today, might seem to be a deeply dangerous divided country [without being aware of ] the violent social upheaval of the 1960s, much less of the pre-civil War era."  

However, while his conclusion that awareness of history can show us that we have survived threats in the past, helping us keep current problems in perspective, we must not assume that just because "things worked out then" we need not be concerned about today's problems.   Germany did not have nuclear weapons in W.W. II, and how different the war might have been if Hitler would have had that weapon first. 

A reminder found in Philadelphia 

It is true that every generation will face challenges, and America has survived severe situations.  Yet, just because we survived difficult times in the past must not make us assume that today's threats will eventually be resolved wisely.  Nuclear weapons, global warming, and AI capabilities are obvious examples of things past generations did not confront. 

Hewitt's emphasis on the lessons history has to teach is valid.  I agree.  Ways to teach history to young people are extremely important, but we adults also need to reflect on the lessons to be learned from the past.  Perhaps, instead of a debate, prospective political candidates should participate in a quiz show, answering questions about American history.   It seems reasonable that we voters should take better notice of how well schooled in history and the American Constitution the people we send to State Capitals and to Washington, D.C. really are.  But, of course, before we can judge their answers, all of us may need to brush up a little on our own awareness of history.

Thanks to my friend who suggest that I read Hugh Hewitt's article.  


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good read, Lyn.

Jack Bender said...

I concur with the article and your comments. One time after attending a Civil War Roundtable event in Wichita I stopped at a Mcdonald's to get something to eat and I had my Civil War uniform on. I was asked what kind of uniform was I wearing and when I said Civil War I was asked if I was that old. The question showed some sense of history but made me wonder about the person's true understanding of life events. Jack

Anonymous said...

I completely agree that many youngsters today do not have a very good understanding of history even from WW1 up until today. When I sub I have actually tried to inform them about the Vietnam war and the price that so
many young people paid.
I also have tried to get them to realize what special freedoms they have compared to people living in other parts of the world.
I like the saying “ you don’t want to be governed by some one more interested in power than people.” I’m afraid we have a large number of people who not recognize this.
I always enjoy reading your articles in the Tribune. Keep the articles coming. 😊

The Blog Fodder said...

So many states are limiting what version of history can be taught. They wish to cover up certain aspects of history because the want to repeat them. Can't recall who said it. Lack of knowledge of history is how Putin is convincing Russians that Stalin was a good guy. Many of them know nothing of his reign of terror. My wife's family knows because they narrowly escaped it in 1937-38.