Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Humor from a 19th Century Vice-president

    John Nance Garner was the 32nd Vice-president of the United States.  When asked what he thought of serving in that esteemed office, he is said to have replied that it was "Not worth a bucket of spit."  (Some references suggest that he might have used a cruder word than spit.)

To explain his opinion more specifically shortly after leaving office, he said, "Worst damnfool mistake I ever made was letting myself be elected Vice President of the United States.  Should have stuck with my old chores as Speaker of the House.  I gave up the second most important job in the Government for one that didn't amount to a hill of beans.  I spent eight long years as Mr. Roosevelt's spare tire."

Vice-president Garner does not seem to mind meeting
these Azalea Beauty Queens!

Having discovered John Nance Garner's quotes, I decided to explore a bit of information about former vice-presidents.  The following is what I found:

15 Vice-presidents have become Presidents

8 seceded because of the death of the President

6 were elected after having been the Vice-president

One became President because the former President resigned 

Only one President served as Vice-President & President, 

although he was never elected to either post.

I hope you enjoyed this little bit of Vice-presidential history.  Maybe some of you can even take the challenge of filling in the missing information about just who the 15 Vice-presidents who became President were (or are).  I suspect most of you know who the man was who filled both of the Office of Vice-president and President without being elected to either office.

In earlier years, the role of Vice-president was fairly limited.  Nelson Rockefeller was quoted as saying, "I go to funerals.  I go to earthquakes."  Obviously, judging from Garner's picture, sometimes they got to meet pretty girls!  However, in more recent times, Vice-presidents are generally given more responsibilities.  Perhaps modern Vice-presidents might not agree with Vice-president Garner's description of the job.

No comments: