Friday, October 27, 2023

Do You Believe in Ghosts?

 I have found several studies related to surveys asking people whether they believe in ghosts.  It is surprising to me that a large percentage of people do.  What they admit differs by whether they are asked in a well-lighted room or in a dark room, whether they are asked privately or when others could hear their replies, and whether they are asked around the time of Halloween!  Ph. D. Professor Tok Thompson believes that, "Ghosts have an interesting role in that they are a really well-believed and well discussed, but completely an unofficial part of our culture."  Thompson is not only a professor but also a folklorist, an author, and a professor of anthropology.  


Ghosts play a big role in literature and movies.  I decided to write this blog because of an interview I watched of members of the cast of a tv series about ghosts.  The cast was excited to be preparing for a third season.  Apparently, ghosts are popular!  Of course, they get the most attention at Halloween.  I know of some people who do not allow their children to participate in Halloween activities for reasons of their faith.  I also know of churches who host Halloween parties for children in their congregations.  Different cultures regard Halloween differently.

We associate ghosts with certain places, particularly haunted houses and graveyards.  We have stories about friendly ghosts and evil ghosts, with scarry ghosts someplace in the middle.  People make distinctions between "a" ghost and "my" ghost.

I know people who have attended a seance and believe the spirit medium who delivered a message during the seance could have only known that information through contact with a dead person.  I do not believe in ghosts, and I have never attended a seance, but I must admit that one of my favorite romantic moves is the 1990 film "Ghost."  In that movie, a mugger kills Sam, played by Patrick Swaze.  Molly, played by Demi More, watches as Sam is taken to Heaven by Angels.  As the ghost of Sam watches over Molly, I cry every time...even harder since the death of actor Patrick Swaze.  So, I don't believe in Ghosts, but that doesn't keep me from crying whenever I watch that movie.

Remember my reference to the difference between 'a ghost' and 'my ghost'?  I guess the ghost I allow myself to believe in must be Patrick Swaze!     


No comments: