Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Memories of Family Recipies


The holiday season has arrived, and once that would have been easy to describe, at least in my family.  If grandparents were living, we gathered at their homes and traditional meals were prepared.  We alternated years, since both my paternal and maternal grandparents were living.  Because my father had inherited the family home, after my grandmother's death, we often hosted Beck family gatherings.  

According to my internet search, family Thanksgiving dinners are still common, and holiday classic meals remain popular, "prime rib, baked ham, and roast turkey to scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce" as typical choices.  

My Mother's traditional Thanksgiving recipes were turkey, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, dressing, and corn.  Her special holiday salad was strawberry Jello with grated fresh apple, and pumpkin pie was the dessert.  As I recall, Christmas was about the same.  The only thing I didn't like was the cranberry sauce. 

According to the internet, Christmas celebrations continue to include family gatherings, but they now include travel for some families, who may prefer trips to faraway places, some preferring warmer climates while others head for skiing destinations.  

When my husband and I graduated from college, he left for Officer Training School, leaving me alone in a small town, teaching a class of 6th graders. I do not recall that town having a restaurant, but if it did, I lacked the courage to dine alone.  When he left for his first assignment, he took the car, so I had no transportation other than my two feet.  Those evenings in a rented house with no television were lonely, and the meals I prepared for myself were very simple.  One evening, the parents of one of my students invited me to dinner.  I enjoyed the evening, and although I do not remember the rest of the meal, I remember a salad I was served.  It was delicious, and I am embarrassed to recall that I liked it so much that I had 3 servings.  In my defense, because it included cranberries, my Mother's cranberry sauce had made me think I didn't like cranberries, so I only took a tiny amount to be polite.  It was delicious!  I reached for a little bit more.  The embarrassing part was that when I had finished the meal, I asked if I might have a third serving with my dessert!  I not only left with a full tummy, I left with the recipe!!   In my special recipe's cookbook, I have given it the name of my 6th Grade student, Kathy Swenson's Salad.  Here is that very special recipe.

1,  Grind 1 lb. cranberries.  Add 1 1/4 cup sugar; let stand 30 minutes and then cook  to taste.

2.  Add 1 1/2 small package strawberry jello and 1 cup water.  Set in refrigerator until chilled. 

3.  Then add 2 diced bananas, a cup or more of crushed pineapple, and one half cup of black walnuts.

4.  While that chills, mix a package of Dream Whip and fold into fruit mixture.  Allow to set. 

(The black walnuts may be hard to find, but do your best.  I do not think such a thing as a 'package of Dream Whip' can be found, but whipped cream is fine to substitute.)

If you live in the community where I live, I just hope I get to the last package of black walnuts before you do!  The last time I made the recipe, I bought the last package, and the package was very small.  I cannot blame the supplier.  The husks on black walnuts are so difficult to remove, but other nuts just are not quite as good in matching the tart cranberry flavor.

Happy Thanksgiving!  The salad is also wonderful for Christmas!!

1 comment:

The Blog Fodder said...

In the days of our youth, families lived not too far apart and grandparents kept us together. I miss that. We cousins had some fun times. My kids don't even know some of their cousins.
I may have to try that recipe. Tanya's go to Christmas/New Year's salad is Kholodets, which is called head cheese in English. I love it. My kids hate it. Learned taste I guess.
Not sure what we are doing for Christmas if anything. Kids have their own lives and in-laws. My second daughter figures she will be lucky to take Christmas day off with marking and preparing for the next semester. A perfectionist with ADHD makes for a slow professor.
January 5th is the annual Agricultural Grads banquet. Our classes 65th year. The numbers are slowly dwindling. We lost the oldest Ag Grad (class of 43) at 106 years. He never missed a banquet.