Wednesday, October 7, 2026

A Major Treasure Needs Help!

 This weekend at Fort Hays State University we saw for the first time the Larry and Lyn Fenwick Reading Room with a major part of our collection on display.  We are delighted, and we look forward to future exhibits to allow rotating the collection.  The Wizard of Oz Collection is safely at home for years to come, and we are pleased that we were able to help with something the library had needed when we were asked to help. 

 We have just learned that another FHSU treasure is in great trouble!  The Sternberg Museum of Natural History is an incredible treasure for the University.  Years ago, when I was a student, I passed by the fish-within-a-fish each time I went upstairs to the library, and I was fascinated by it.  It was only until I had graduated and moved on that the wonderful Sternberg Museun was opened.  It has fascinated thousands since then.  It is no small museum.  It is one of the most robust fossil collections in the United States, with more than three million specimens. 

The research capacity is obviously important, but the great treasure for children goes further.  Animals, fish, and huge creatures from the past tower over them and swoop overhead as the museum successfully brings the past alive to children and adults.  Of course, that achievement is expensive, and while keeping ancient history alive has looked successful, ongoing expenses continue.    

It is not a case of disinterest.  Fort Hays State successfully brought to life what had been primarily utilized by Geologists, Petrologists, Mineralogists, Lithologists, and Archaeologists. The university introduced the rest of us who knew little or nothing about the wonder of a nearly forgotten era.  They reminded us that our world changes, an important reminder for all of us.  Perhaps the most important visitors to the Museum are the children, who are particularly needed to understand our planet as our world moves on.  They love the museum.  

I know that those who faced the decision to close the Museum struggled to find ways to keep it open, but they have the responsibility for all the many things on and off campus.  Their decision was not carelessly made.

 Now is an especially difficult time to ask for money, but an effort is underway to keep the museum alive.  I am not a fundraiser, but I do know that a lot of people read my blog, and some of them might be glad to learn in time that the Sternberg Museum is closing very soon, and if people do want to help, they must act soon.  There are pictures online of the wonderful interior. If you are curious or might be interested in helping, the foundation is a good site to start.  https://foundation.fhsu.ed/save Sternberg/     

I blog about many things, and when I share something interesting to visit it is usually just to let you know.  I have shared this because I thought some readers might want to help.     


    

No comments: